Sunday, April 10, 2016

Motoring to Mazzorbo, This Evening


Modest as Mazzorbo is these days, it wasn't always so. Ancient Mycenean vases have been found on the island, and even amid the little archipelago of islands on the other side of its main canal, long a neighborhood of very simple fisherman dwellings, a few large immovable marble remnants of ancient Roman constructions, to take one example, can still make it impossible for a resident to drive in the posts needed to construct a small dock at the weedy, muddy edge of the water. 
   

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little jealous. Right now my view is of a thorofare in Oakland CA. Nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up about an hour from Oakland and, at least climate-wise, it's probably one of the better places in which to regard a thorofare--though, yes, I suppose it would be much nicer if the traffic was reduced and moving on water. (Though Oakland has the Bay!)

      Delete
  2. A few days ago I looked at Google Earth view of Mazzorbo and Burano. Took me a while to work out the vaporetto route. Because it stops at Mazzorbo first I expected Burano to be north of that island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that nothing in the north lagoon, Andrew, is where I thought it would be or the size I'd imagined it to be based upon what I read. For example, I'd imagined the trip from Venice to Burano to be one across open water, but, actually, the way we often go in our boat we're motoring alongside Sant'Erasmo for pretty much the entire trip. But those are all pleasant surprises, really.

      Delete